Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF MS) is a powerful technique for rapidly determining the molecular masses of compounds with exceptional sensitivity. It utilizes laser pulses to ionize sample compounds and separates them based on their flight times, enabling precise mass spectrometry analysis. The utilization of MALDI-TOF MS in high-throughput glycan analysis has undergone significant advancements. Researchers actively optimize methodologies, develop data processing tools, and integrate automation techniques to enhance overall efficiency. These efforts focus on improving sensitivity, resolution, and efficiency. These advancements facilitate rapid determination of glycan composition, resolution of glycan chain structures, quantitative analysis, and exploration of glycan interactions with biomolecules. As technology progresses and its applications expand, MALDI-TOF MS holds the potential to revolutionize high-throughput glycan analysis. This will lead to more comprehensive and efficient sample analysis, propelling further advancements in glycan research.
CD BioGlyco offers a highly sensitive MALDI-TOF MS-based high-throughput glycans screening service. Through the implementation of automated injection systems, parallel processing, and streamlined data analysis methods, we facilitate the compositional analysis of glycan mixtures as well as the analysis of glycan chain structures. This approach allows for the swift identification of glycan molecules within the sample and enables high-throughput analysis of the glycan structure across multiple samples. This aids in the efficient high-throughput screening (HTS) of glycan molecules with specific structures. Our screening process is generally as follows:
1) Prepare the solid carrier by dissolving it in a suitable solvent. Mix the glycan sample with the solid carrier and dry the mixture.
2) Prepare a solution of MALDI substrate (e.g., horseradish peroxidase or 2,5-dihydroxybenzoic acid, etc.). Place the solid carrier containing the glycan sample on the MALDI target plate. Use a micropipette to drop the MALDI substrate solution onto the surface of the sample on the carrier.
3) Rapid evaporation from the sample surface and formation of homogeneous matrix crystals at room temperature or using specific drying equipment.
4) Insert the MALDI target plate into the MALDI-TOF MS instrument for mass spectrometry analysis of the sample. Set the appropriate parameters of the MALDI-TOF MS instrument, such as laser power, ion source temperature, etc.
5) Data are analyzed to infer the composition and variation of glycan structures.
Fig.1 Process of high-throughput glycan screening using MALDI-TOF MS. (CD BioGlyco, 2023)
CD BioGlyco offers a complete and efficient MALDI-TOF-MS-based high-throughput glycan screening service. Our HTS service handles a large number of samples at the same time, significantly shortening the experimental cycle and improving work efficiency. We also provide High-Throughput Glycans Screening Services based on other analytical tools. Please feel free to contact us if you need help with the MALDI-TOF-MS-based HTS of glycans.